Well I think "Thankful" is a bit of an understate, if I wanted one word to describe how I felt after the holiday weekend of Thanksgiving came to a close. So so so thankful, joyful, blessed, spoiled, lucky... I'm not sure that any one word could quite do it. But nonetheless... it was one AWESOME week and weekend. I took the week off to prepare for hosting my family for Thanksgiving, for the first time. Being the baby of the family that is always something I dreamed of or thought about, the day when I would be in charge of a holiday gathering. I love entertaining and as the opportunity came forth this year, especially in our new house, Joe and I were very excited!!
Of course the minor details like how I really didn't know how to cook much or any of the dishes required in a Thanksgiving dinner.. but that is just details, right? Ha! The turkey was the only thing I was fairly nervous about.. just getting it right, having it edible and having enough to feed the whole clan. I wasn't really too nervous because my Mom would be helping me and I was confident that she could show me how.. how to get it done. But after all the planning and grocery shopping.. and planning.. and decorating. I feel like the whole 'sha-bang' went pretty good. The only really bummer was that my one brother and his family were unable to make the trip to St. Louis. Other than that I'd say I was more than happy with the outcome of everything. We had some great quality time with family.. and you can't really beat that!
Sure we were busy hosting and had house guests, but there is something about having a full house, that is so fulfilling. Just being surrounded by those you love. Everyone chipping in and helping out. Watching the kids play together. Laughing and fighting over ornaments or silly white elephant gifts. Cooper waking up so excited knowing that Na Na and Pa Pa are still there. Priceless.
My family has a unique dynamic in that we are fairly spaced out age-wise. I wouldn't change it for anything, but of course it has had its challenges over the years. Just everyone being different places in their lives. Of course we are a variety of personalities, interest, life styles, etc. We have our own bit of dsyfunctionalty just like any normal family. We gone through rough patches in all sorts of catergories of life, but in the end we are family. All bonded together by some pretty amazing parents. I'd said they are without a doubt the glue of our famly. They taught us to put your faith and family first. To treat others how you want to be treated and to not judge others until you walk a mile or more in their shoes. Among many many other important things.. and traits that we have each delevoped. Our parents are the main reason each of us is who we have grown up to be. Thanks Mom and Dad. I've said it quite a few times.. but I hope that I can be half as good of a parent as mine are to me. I don't know anyone else that shows the love, sacrifice and compassion that they do. Others are always first. Especially their kids, grandkids, etc.
So anyway I thought this particular holiday we as a family, all that were there .... really represented the essence of FAMILY. And I thought that was pretty cool!!
To a great FRIEND THANKSGIVING (and christmas get together)!
No comments:
Post a Comment